Military Discharge Requests

General Information | Requirements

  • Military discharges recorded with Missouri Recorders of Deeds are restricted from public search. Therefore, they are not available for genealogy or other research purposes.
  • A copy or copies of military discharges may be made only for the Veteran, surviving spouse, and certain third parties as defined by State law.
  • A copy or copies of military discharges are provided to a veteran or surviving spouse at no cost.
  • Person(s) requesting copies of military discharges must provide proof of identity by displaying either the applicant's state issued driver's license or state issued identification card.
  • Applicant's name and address on license or identification card must match applicant's mailing address on the Copy Request Form.

To print a form to request a copy, please select this military discharge form.

Mail or Bring your Copy Request Form to:

St. Louis County Recorder of Deeds Office
41 South Central Avenue
Clayton, Missouri 63105
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday
Contact 314.615.7100 - E-mail [email protected]

St. Louis County Recorder of Deeds can only provide a copy or copies of military discharge papers that were recorded in St. Louis County between 1944 to present.

If you recorded your Discharge papers with another Missouri county Recorder of Deeds or an Illinois Recorder of Deeds, you will need to contact that office for a copy.