Who Needs To Apply for a License or Declare Exemption?

You must apply for a Residential Rental Property License if the following apply:

  • You own a dwelling and plan to rent it.
  • The dwelling is in unincorporated St. Louis County Click Here to Check.
  • The dwelling is a one-family, two-family, attached townhouse or multiple family dwelling with four or less living units.
  • The dwelling is not university-owned housing, a fraternity, a sorority, a hotel or a motel.

You may declare exemption from licensing if:

  • You are renting to a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, child or grandchild,
  • The dwelling is owned by a business and is rented to an individual with an ownership interest in the business,

How Do I Apply or Get More Information?