Spanish Lake Park

12500 Spanish Pond Road

Park Hours
8 a.m. - 30 minutes past sunset

General Information / History
In 1928 William Heckman bought Spanish Pond for Eldorado subdivision. At that time the roads were still stone. The name was changed from Spanish Pond to Spanish Lake at that time for promotional commercial purposes. The lake remained under private ownership until it was purchased in 1969. The park opened in April of 1971 and was officially dedicated in October of 1971. The Department finished a dredging project in 1982 that removed 200,000 cubic yards of sediment from the lake.

Fourteen acres of land were added to the park in 1986. 1986 Bond Issue funds were used to construct the Manny Broadway Shelter and a new maintenance building. In the early 1990s the lake was dredged again, and it is now managed, along with the accessible dock, by the Missouri Department of Conservation under the Community Assistance Program. In 2001 the Cardinal Care program constructed “Spirit Field,” an accessible baseball field, in the upper part of the park.

Click here for more history on Spanish Lake Park


Features & Amenities
 + 2 Playgrounds
 + Trails
 + Tennis Courts
 + Fishing
 + Cross Country Course
 + Athletic Fields
 + Year-Round Restroom (Catfish Shelter)
 + 4 Reservable Shelters
Catfish Shelter

James O'Mara Shelter
Manny Broadway Shelter
St. Vrain Shelter









View Park Events

 

Park Postings:

(As of 12/14/18 7:00 a.m.)

All recreation complexes and historic sites will be closed on December 24th and 25th.


Unger Park roads are open to the Riverside Trail Parking lot, however, the Riverside Trail remains closed beyond this parking lot.


The Grant's Spur along Grant's Trail was severely damaged during periods of heavy rain. For safety reasons, this short trail has been closed.


Ohlendorf Park restroom will be off-line for the remainder of the season.  Portable toilets and hand washing stations remain onsite for public use.