Lone Elk Park

I-44 North Outer Road west of Highway 141
1 Lone Elk Park Rd

Park Hours
The park officially opens at 7 a.m. in the summer and 8 a.m. in the winter. However, the gates are physically opened and the public is free to enter by 6:30-7 a.m. year round. The park closes at sunset.

 

General Information / History
Lone Elk Park is a wildlife management area, with bison, wild turkey, waterfowl, elk and deer. Motorcycles are prohibited. Domestic animals are not allowed, even if confined in a vehicle.

The park acreage was once part of the Tyson Valley Powder Plant used for the testing and storage of ammunition during WWII. After the War, the area served as a County Park, and in 1948 herds of elk and bison were established. The land was re-acquired by the Federal Government during the Korean War, and for safety reasons the wildlife herds were destroyed in 1958. However, one lone bull elk survived.

In 1964 St. Louis County reacquired a portion of the original tract from the General Services Administration and in 1966 the name was changed from Tyson Park to Lone Elk County Park. Six additional elk were obtained from Yellowstone National Park in 1966 through the efforts of the children of the Rockwood School District and West St. Louis County Lions Club.

The park was officially opened to the public on October 17, 1971. Six bison were acquired from the St. Louis Zoo in July 1973. 

Click here for more history on Lone Elk Park

Features & Amenities
 + Fishing
 (Fishing is available by reservation and is for catch and release only.  Artificial lures must be used, no live or cut bait allowed. Reservation for this event are Friday – Monday in April, May, June, September & October. To make a reservation, please contact us at [email protected])
 + Animal Viewing (Staff feed the animals first thing in the morning. The best time to view the animals is before 8 a.m.)
 + Year-Round Restroom (Visitor's Center - closed for construction)
 + Trails
 + 2 Reservable Shelters
Whitetail Deer
Ralph Foley

 


 

 

View Park Events

 

Park Postings:

(As of 5/22/19 11:00 a.m.)


The trail at Ft. Bellefontaine that runs parallel to Coldwater Creek is closed due to a washout. 


Lower Buder, Simpson, and Unger Parks are closed due to flooding.


There is water over spots of the loop trail at Creve Coeur Park.


The Sylvan Springs tennis courts are closed for repairs.


Portions of the Chubb Trail are under water due to flooding.


Lemay Park is closed due to flooding.


Sioux Passage boat ramp and campgrounds are closed due to flooding.


The 5 mile and 1/2 mile loop trails at Cliff Cave Park are closed due to flooding.


Widman Park is closed due to flooding.


George Winter Park is closed due to flooding.


Lower Meramec Trail is closed due to flooding.


 

The Grant's Spur along Grant's Trail was severely damaged during periods of heavy rain. For safety reasons, this short trail has been closed.


Ohlendorf Park restroom will out of service until further notice. Portable toilets and hand washing stations remain onsite for public use.



Reservable Site Photo Galleries



Lone Elk Amenities