Jefferson Barracks Museums

Jefferson Barracks Historic Site
345 North Road
Saint Louis, MO 63125

Museum admission is free but a donation is suggested.  All donations go to the Friends of Jefferson Barracks and are used in part to help preserve this historic site and its buildings. Admission fees to special events may apply. Guided tours by are appointment only. 

For accessibility accommodations, call 314-615-8800 or 800-735-2966 TTY

General Information & History
Jefferson Barracks was a U.S. Army post from 1826 to 1946. The 426 acre park includes trails, disc golf, picnic shelters, The Pavilion at Lemay recreation center, an ampitheater and museums that offer exhibits, educational programs and special events. 

Jefferson Barracks, established in 1826, as the country’s first “Infantry School of Practice,” served as a major U.S. military installation until it was deactivated in June 1946. Named as a tribute to former President Thomas Jefferson, the post played an important role in the westward expansion.

Educational Programs & Activities
Group Tours
Come visit Jefferson Barracks and tour this grand old army barracks by bus or haywagon. Our tours are popular with many adult groups and organizations. Advance registration required by calling (314) 615-8800 or email us.

Bus Tours
$3 per person; (24 person min. or $72)

Hayride Tours
$120 per ride.

Discover more!
Take a digital tour of the park – look for signs at the park with QR codes to scan with your phone and access information on sites within Jefferson Barracks.

Old Ordnance Room
Admission: Free ($3 Suggested Donation)
Opens: Saturday, March 3, 2018, Noon - 4 p.m.
Closes: Sunday, December 30, 2018, Noon - 4 p.m.

Upcoming Exhibit: 
"Over There: World War I from Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis & Missouri” - The second-part of our World War I centennial exhibition, “Over There,” will bring the important battles of the Great War in 1918 to life.  Focusing on the American soldiers, their deployment, their life in the trenches, their defeats and victories, and their part in ending the war, the exhibit will highlight the important role Americans, Missourians and St. Louisans played in transforming the 20th century.  The exhibit will also examine the lasting impacts of the Armistice and the road to World War II.

Powder Magazine Museum
Admission: Free (Donations accepted)
Hours: Wednesday - Sunday, Noon - 4 p.m.

The Powder Magazine Museum displays St. Louis County Parks’ core collection of artifacts that tell the story of the history of Jefferson Barracks from its inception in 1826 until its closure in 1946.

Visitors Center
Free admission (Donations accepted.)
The Jefferson Barracks Visitor Center houses the park's gift shop and information center as well as period special events and rentals.

Laborers House and Ordnance Stable
Free admission.

The Laborers House and Ordnance Stable were built in 1851. The house was for civilian laborers that handled the movement and storage of powder and ordnance here at Jefferson Barracks. After the Civil War the ordnance keeper and his family lived here.

Other Museums located within Jefferson Barracks Park

Missouri Civil War Museum
The Missouri Civil War Museum, located at Jefferson Barracks, is the state’s premier Civil War museum dedicated to honor the thousands of men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice. Through the weapons, equipment, items, and uniforms of those who lived during our nation’s defining moment in history, we aim to tell their story in an unbiased interpretation.

For hours, pricing and exhibit information, visit their website at

Visit today and learn about our state’s vast role in the Civil War, from Francis P. Blair, Jr. to Claiborne Jackson, Nathaniel Lyon to Sterling Price, and William Quantrill to Jim Lane.

Jefferson Barracks Telephone Museum

Housed in a beautifully restored 1896 building, the museum features an extensive collection of telephones, telephone-related equipment and memorabilia. For hours, pricing or tour information, "like" them on Facebook , call (314) 416-8004 or visit their website at

Be a Volunteer!
Share your knowledge and love of history by volunteering in one of St. Louis County’s oldest and most historic parks. We rely on volunteers to keep our museums and gift shop open and to keep our grounds looking beautiful. To learn how you can become a JB volunteer, call (314) 615-8800 or email us.

St. Louis County Parks offers fair and equal employment, conditions of employment, and promotional opportunities for all persons without discrimination based upon race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability/handicap condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veterans status, political affiliation, or other non-merit factors.

View Park Events


Park Postings:

(As of 3/18/19 9:00 a.m.)

Widman Park is closed due to flooding.

George Winter Park is closed due to flooding.

The entrance to Lower Meramec Trail from highway 55 is closed. The Holzer Road side is open. The center of the trail is closed due to flooding.

The Sylvan Springs tennis courts are currently closed for repairs.

Unger Park roads are open to the Riverside Trail Parking lot, however, the Riverside Trail remains closed beyond this parking lot.

The Grant's Spur along Grant's Trail was severely damaged during periods of heavy rain. For safety reasons, this short trail has been closed.

Ohlendorf Park restroom will be off-line for the remainder of the season.  Portable toilets and hand washing stations remain onsite for public use.