Military Discharge Requests

General Information | Requirements

  • Military discharges recorded with the Missouri Recorders of Deeds are restricted from public search. They are not available for genealogy or other research purposes.
  • A copy of military discharges may be made only for the veteran, surviving spouse, and certain third parties as defined by state law.
  • A copy of military discharges are provided to a veteran or surviving spouse at no cost.
  • Person(s) requesting copies of military discharges must provide proof of identity.  This includes the applicant's driver's license or identification card.
  • Applicant's name and address on the license or identification card must match the applicant's mailing address on the Copy Request Form.
Getting Started

To print a form or to request a copy, please select this military discharge form.  Mail or bring the Copy Request Form to:

St. Louis County Recorder of Deeds Office
41 South Central Avenue
Clayton, Missouri 63105
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday
Phone - 314-615-7100 or e
-mail at  [email protected]

We only provide a copy of military discharge papers that were recorded in St. Louis County between 1944 to present.

If you recorded your discharge papers with another Missouri county, the Recorder of Deeds or an Illinois Recorder of Deeds, you will need to contact that office for a copy.